[Histonet] proper lubricant for an AO 860

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> wfubmc.edu
Sun Apr 27 14:51:20 CDT 2008

Hello Everyone,

You may have remembered a post I put up several months ago seeking
advice on how to loosen a very gunked up AO 860 sliding microtome.
Well, I took it apart bit by bit until I couldn't figure it out anymore.
In frustration I left it alone for a while.  My boss looked at it
recently and with a little WD-40 was able to loosen the mechanism. I'd
like to reassemble it (if I can!) but I assume the WD40 needs to be
replaced with a better lubricant.  Any suggestions?

Also, is there anyone out there with experience in taking these things
apart?  I may need some guidance on how to get it back together. For
example, there are these little metal bits in the central metal piece
that the blade holder slides down.  I think I may have knocked it out of
one side.  What are these, and are they needed?

Finally, I'm in the NC area, can anyone recommend a repair shop for this
instrument if I have trouble?

Thanks,

Caroline