[Histonet] pH probes and dyes-compatible?

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Apr 24 15:55:13 CDT 2008

Greg,

What you should do it provide your own electrode, a single/combination
plastic barrel that can be interchanged with their pH meter (check
specifications).   Just make sure this electrode is compatible with TRIS
buffers too,  you may need to pH one of those sometime.  This way you don't
anger the chem people if any residual dye is clinging to the electrode.

The combination plastic electrodes are NOT expensive, and to maintain them,
store in the pH 4 buffer used to calibrate the meter.  These electrodes
often have a protective sleeve down over the leads, so sitting them in a
flask with storage pH 4 buffer (stable, cheap under vendor name/labels) will
not damage the bottom where leads are located during stirring or storage.
The pH 4 buffer supposedly keeps the openings to leads from plugging up.  We
get slimy stuff growing in distilled water storage, but less so than pH 4
buffer - be sure to rinse this away with distilled water before pH
adjustment/readings.

After you trash the plastic barrel electrode with stains (and not the
chemistry lab's precious electrodes), just replace with another, cheap
electrode.  We were advised of this years ago, and it worked for us.  It may
be in your best interest to buy an electrode stand - there are some clever
ones that have flexible arms to free up your hands for pH adjustment and
when attaching your electrode to the meter.  Our electrode is long and
skinny, to reach into narrow, but large flasks or bottles for solution
preparations e.g. pH adjustment of 14% tetrasodium EDTA decalcifiying
solution - 2 liters or more at a time.

We thought we would not need a pH meter in the histolab, but it  has been a
godsend for over 20 years.    There are some inexpensive, reliable meters
out there.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT 59715