[Histonet] Frozen sample storage

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Apr 21 09:26:11 CDT 2008

Cathy,

-70 or lower is always better, but if you can't access a lower temperature
freezer, it may be in your best interest to test antigenicity more
frequently.

We use -80C and have found, with our murine tissue, snap frozen fresh and
embedded in OCT, the antigenicity was retained after 6 years of storage.
Our IHC staining was excellent.   The frozen OCT/Tissue blocks were stored
in a screw top 50 ml centrifuge tube.

We avoid lower temperatures, and have a small under the counter freezer
adjusted to -30C for storage of biochemicals, serum, and staining reagents.
People have stored their OCT embedded tissues in this freezer, but not for 6
months.   Personally, I have avoided this freezer for block storage mainly
since we have a -80C freezer always availabe.   It is important that the
freezer is NOT a self defrosting freezer which I presume you are not using.

Also, are you saying that the vial also contains isopentane and stored in
this freezer?  If so, you should not do this UNLESS the freezer is explosion
proof or you will end up like the U of Arkansas lab that blew up and burned
in the wee hours of the morning.    Just store the frozen blocks in an
airtight container, i.e. your tube with OCT + tissue, frozen in the tube.
Bob Skinner wrote an article for HistoLogic (Sakura Finetek website) about
the this accident and the dangers of storing isopentane in an improper
freezer.

There has been a great deal of discussion concerning frozen block storage on
Histonet, so you may want to research it a bit more.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT 59715