[Histonet] Help with a brown and brenn, Brown and Hopps question

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Apr 11 19:49:45 CDT 2008

Brown RC and Hopps HC, Staining of bacteria in tissue sections: a reliable
Gram stain method.  Am. J. Clin Path.  60:234-240, 1973.

Brown RC and Hopps HC both worked for the Geographic Divistion, AFIP,
Washington DC, as stated by Lee Luna editor of AFIP Manual.  Luna indicated
te method would be published later, as it was in 1973

"Brown" for the Brown and Brenn original reference was Brown JH and Brenn L.
Bull. Johns Hopkins Hospital, 48:69-73, 1931 (AFIP modification)

As for the Brown and Brenn modification, the whole reference is Taylor RD.
Modification of the Brown and Brenn Gram stain for the differential saining
of gram positive and gram negative bacteria in tissue sections. AM. J. Clin
Patholo 46:472-476, 1966.   This was found in Sheehan and Hrapchak Theory
and Practice of Histotechnology reference list for chapter on Microorganisms
.

Have you tried Google Scholar for searching?

Gayle Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT 59715