[Histonet] Histology vacancies

Luis Chiriboga Luis.Chiriboga <@t> med.nyu.edu
Fri Apr 11 10:14:25 CDT 2008

Hi all
I'm not sure how the law is set-up in CA but it is a complete mess here in
New York.......Our law, just  passed in 2006 requires all "clinical
laboratory" personnel to be licensed. Briefly, the law created a generalist
license, allowing anyone who meets the educational and test criteria to
practice in a clinical laboratory. However, there is no distinction between
specialties, and no mention of histology. In fact the educational curricula
proposed only requires 1 semester course in histology (microscopic) in order
to be licensed. IN addition, anyone wishing to come to New York to practice
in histology now has to meet the educational requirements (specific course
work) and take the generalist test (covers all areas but is mostly
CP.....from chemistry to blood banking) regardless of years in practice,
certifications or degrees.
I believe that there are a few other, if not several, states considering
licensing legislation. I highly recommend that histology people get
involved..... get your state society to represent you in this process.
Otherwise, you may end up far worse off than you already may be.......

Luis Chiriboga PhD., HT (ASCP) QIHC
New York University School of Medicine
NYU Cancer Institute IHC Core Facility
Bellevue Hospital Center
Department of Pathology 4W27
27th Street & First Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10016
V (212)562-4667
F (212)263-2041
Luis.Chiriboga <@t> med.nyu.edu <mailto:Luis.Chiriboga <@t> med.nyu.edu>

Vice President
New York State Histotechnological Society
http://www.nyhisto.org/