[Histonet] Salary / Temp positions

Cory Collins cory.collins <@t> DHAT.com
Thu Apr 10 14:52:30 CDT 2008

Hey Cindy,

I think you have a valid point with the cost of 2-4 years worth of
schooling.  It is very expensive.  But we're not the only ones faced
with the problem of low pay out of college and student loans.  Teachers
get paid far less than what they deserve and they still do it and there
is a huge shortage of teachers, just like techs.  This is where we are
at in the profession and it's not going to change, this is the answer
that the powers that be have come up with.

I think it's important for a tech to have a strong background in
science.  This will certainly help them to be able to troubleshoot
problems in the lab.  The histology world is getting much more complex
with the use of IHC, ISH, FISH, image analysis and whatever else is on
the horizon.  I'm not saying that a tech that doesn't have formal
training can't learn these things on the job, I've taught a few techs
these areas that didn't know squat about science before coming into the
lab and they've done great.  But to improve our pay over the next couple
of decades, I think ASCP is right on with the requirements.
Unfortunately that means a shortage of techs and it'll probably be that
way for the next several years. Our answer to ASCP's requirements is
getting the word out to anyone that will listen about histology as a
career, especially young people.

I graduated almost 9 years ago and am still paying on my student loans,
I have a ways to go.  The good news is the lenders give you plenty of
time to do it and you can get on a payment program where the payments
start low and increase over time.  This allows you to make a living
right out of school and then pay more when you should be making more, a
few years after graduation.

Just my two cents...I think a college degree is well worth the price of
admission.  The experience along with the long-term earning potential
makes it a good investment.

Cory Collins, HT (ASCP) QIHC

Histology Lab Supervisor

Digestive Health Associates of Texas