[Histonet] Re: Illegal spam

drkwolfe <@t> telus.net drkwolfe <@t> telus.net
Wed Apr 2 16:14:32 CDT 2008

already raised on this issue (if I am repeating what someone else has now
already stated I appologize, I only scanned the first half-dozen or so).

Histonet is NOT responible for giving out anyone's e-mail address. They have a
fine reputation, and I seriously doubt anyone would mess with it.

Any web site on this wide open world of the internet is accessible to most
anyone. Even secure websites can be hacked. The persons behind most of the spam
we receive use robots (computer program) to search the internet for anyone that
has posted their email address in a visible manner (such as the archived
material on Histonet.org contains email addresses in posts and responses).
These robots then report on the list of E-Mail addresses its harvested. Those e-
mail addresses are added to a cataloge that is made available to anyone willing
to spend a few dollars for it.

Spammers take these lists and use them for spamming, and some for more
profitable ventures.

So to be on the safe side... never openly post your email address on a website.
or if you do, do so in a manner that does not automatically respond as an e-
mail address (yourname (space) @ (space) Yourprovider.org or by simply waiting
to e-mail your address to someone in a more private medium (messenger, chat,
etc)

I hope that is of some help. And hopefully it will save someone the headache of
massive spam in the future (when I ran my own gaming website, I would receive
on average of 500-1000 spam e-mails a day as all website E-Mails were directed
to myself [editor, owner, webmaster, etc]).

Thanks All and Have a great day
Joe Kapler