[Histonet] Re: Maleic acid vs. Tris in in situ buffer

Chengkang ZHANG chengkaz <@t> uci.edu
Thu Sep 27 01:02:50 CDT 2007

Emily, thanks for the input. I've also followed the protocol of
Schaeren-Weimers and Gerfin-Moser's as well and it worked pretty good
for me (14 um frozen section of adult and embryonic brains). However, I
came across with this Maleic acid protocol when I read a recent paper
from Oscar Marin's lab (J. Neurosci, 2007, 27, 9682-9695). Then I went
back and checked the data sheet coming with the anti-DIG-AP antibody
(Roche), I found that they suggest using Maleic acid based buffer for
"membrane application" and Tris-based buffer for "other application".

And a round of Google search of Maleic acid buffer turned up tons of
protocols using maleic acid based buffer for all kinds of in situ,
either whole mount, frozen or paraffin sections. So I am curious why
maleic acid would be preferred in other protocols, as it has much less
buffering capacity than Tris in the pH range of 7-8. Google search
revealed one explanation that maleic acid buffer can be treated with
DEPC-H2O, while Tris buffer can't. The explanation makes sense, but for
posthybridization steps in situ, DEPC-treated buffers are not necessary.
So is there another reason for the preference of maleic acid?

You are right by saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and I am
going to stick with my old protocol. But, still, a little curiosity
hangs over here.

Chengkang Zhang Ph.D.
Room 357, MedSurge II
Department of Pharmacology