[Histonet] Re: Maleic acid vs. Tris in in situ buffer

Chengkang ZHANG chengkaz <@t> uci.edu
Wed Sep 26 11:54:31 CDT 2007

Dear All,

I am doing DIG-labeled RNA in situ hybridizations and noticed that some
protocols use MABT buffer (0.1M maleic acid, 0.15M NaCl, 0.1% Tween-20,
pH 7.5) to dilute AP-conjugated anti-DIG antibody, while the others use
TNT buffer (0.1M Tris, 0.15M NaCl, 0.1% Tween-20, pH7.5). The only
difference between these two buffers is Maleic acid vs. Tris.

I used Tris-based buffer for my Ab solution and it worked for me. I am
just curious about the difference between maleic acid and Tris. Does
anyone know if there is any advantage of choosing maleic acid over Tris?

Thanks for your input.

CK.

Chengkang Zhang Ph.D.
Room 357, MedSurge II