[Histonet] mycobacterium tuberculosis and fixation

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Sep 26 11:11:13 CDT 2007

I'm posting this question since I need to research the viability of =
mycobaterium tuberculosis in fixed tissue samples.  We quite freqently =
handle paraformaldehye fixed samples from guinea pigs and mice that have =
been that infected with MTB, after fixation they are stored in 70% =
alchol for weeks before I get them.  I have culture data that shows that =
these samples that I am receiving have no viable TB present.  I'm =
wondering if there is anyone out there that handles fixed TB samples =
differently or are they considered non-infectious.  There has been one =
published study that did find viable bacteria in autopsy samples that =
had been stored in 10% NBF so there is conflicting data. =20
=20
Our policy on these type of samples is that we only accept fixed tissue =
samples, we do not work with any unfixed tissue samples.  We do make =
available for individuals that are grossing in the samples a 3M N95 =
particulate respirator, wearing the respirator is not manditory and we =
have run this procedure past our local OSHA person and they are fine =
with it. =20
=20
The one concern I have is that we use a shop vac to suck up the paraffin =
debris from the microtome and is this causing aerosolization.  Any =
comments are appreciated and thanks in advance.
=20
Liz
=20
Manager