[Histonet] Potassium Ferrocyanide Question

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Tue Sep 25 16:38:05 CDT 2007

Greg, In comparing the two formulas you typed I don't see the cyanide
(CN) in the second formula so I'm sort of confused. Is that a typo on
your part ?

to answer your question more specifically, if the chemicals were the
same the formula weight (FW) should be the same, and clearly your new
chemical is quite different from the first.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Greg
Dobbin
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:33 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Potassium Ferrocyanide Question

Hi Folks,
Chemistry is not my forte for sure, so a little help from the chemistry
gurus would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased potassium ferrocyanide trihydrate for use in our Perl's
stain. The bottle that is almost empty lists the contents as
K4Fe(CN)6-3H2O with a molecular wt of 422.39.

The new bottle (different supplier) uses the same name for the chemical
("potassium ferrocyanide trihydrate") but the formula is listed as
FeK4N6-3H2O and the F.W. is 356.7.

Can someone remind me what the "F" in F.W. stands for? And did I buy
the right chemical? Both are ACS grade chemicals.

Thank you.
Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Histology Lab
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.

D?claration de confidentialit?
Le pr?sent message (y compris les annexes) peut contenir des
renseignements confidentiels ayant pour objet une personne ou un
organisme particulier. Si vous avez re?u la pr?sente communication par
erreur, veuillez en informer l'exp?diteur imm?diatement. Si vous n'?tes
pas le destinataire pr?vu, vous n'avez pas le droit d'utiliser,
divulguer, distribuer, copier ou imprimer ce courriel ou encore de vous
en servir, et vous devriez l'effacer compl?tement de votre syst?me
informatique.