[Histonet] Histotech vacancies

Simmons, Christopher simmonsca <@t> upmc.edu
Fri Sep 14 04:10:26 CDT 2007

Our hospital has created a histo school to try to alleviate the
shortage, we are also attempting to get the pay scale changed to attract
new talent into our lab.

Chris Simmons
Lead Tech
PUH Histology
412.647.7660 desk
13242 pager

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Vickroy,
Jim
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:15 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Histotech vacancies

Like a lot of hospitals we have been unable to find qualified applicants
for a histotech position.  We are at least exploring other options.  One
of the options include hiring someone with a biological background and
enrolling them in an on-line histotech training program.  After
completion of the program the applicant would take the certification
examination.    There are a few schools out there that have full time
programs but many individuals are not in a position to take six months
off to attend them without receiving a weekly paycheck.  In addition my
experience has been that these schools only take a small amount of
applicants each session.  So with more positions than students has
anyone else come up with a creative way to train and hire histotechs and
any suggestions to on-line programs that have been worthwhile.

Jim Vickroy
Technical Supervisor - Surgical and Autopsy Pathology Memorial Medical
Center

information intended for a

specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not
the intended recipient,

you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution
of this message, or the

taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.