[Histonet] Histotech vacancies

Tapper, Sheila J. STapper <@t> smdc.org
Thu Sep 13 12:09:33 CDT 2007

IT?!!

Sheila Tapper HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

SMDC Clinical Laboratory
407 East First Street
Duluth, MN  55804

Telephone:  218-786-5472
Fax:  218-786-2369

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]  On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent:	Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:35 AM
To:	Vickroy, Jim; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject:	Re: [Histonet] Histotech vacancies

"On-line" histotech training programs, WITHOUT hands-on training, for me are worthless. They could give to the theory, but histology is more practice, than theory, although both should go hand-by-hand.
  What I did twice: hire a lab assistant, enroll it in a theory program and train it on the job.
  At the end the trained assistant will know the theory to pass the examinations, and will know the practice to do the job.
  René J.

"Vickroy, Jim" <Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com> wrote:

Like a lot of hospitals we have been unable to find qualified applicants for a histotech position. We are at least exploring other options. One of the options include hiring someone with a biological background and enrolling them in an on-line histotech training program. After completion of the program the applicant would take the certification examination. There are a few schools out there that have full time programs but many individuals are not in a position to take six months off to attend them without receiving a weekly paycheck. In addition my experience has been that these schools only take a small amount of applicants each session. So with more positions than students has anyone else come up with a creative way to train and hire histotechs and any suggestions to on-line programs that have been worthwhile.

Jim Vickroy
Technical Supervisor - Surgical and Autopsy Pathology
Memorial Medical Center

specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.