[Histonet] RE: Gloves

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 8 20:20:41 CDT 2007

Jason,
flame you? Hell, I'm gonna nuke you. Nah, I have to agree with you to a
point.  Those of us who never or rarely are exposed (no pun intended) to
prions & such  become lax in routine labs. I'm not even going down he road
that everything should be handled as infectious. I agree, I mean no one
should be putting their bare hands into any solution in he lab. I've been in
this job for 30 years and have went from smoking while coverslipping to
wearing gloves, gowns, and face shields. I don't have any problems, any
problems or or tics, tics.
    Ya know, come to think of it, all my kids have 7 toes. I just thought
that they would be better in math than me.

Later

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Burrill, Jason" <Jason.Burrill <@t> crl.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:35 PM
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Gloves

I just have to weigh in on behalf of Derek Papalegis.  Although there are no
major safety risks of handling paraffin embedded sections, prion diseases
that are still transmittable after formalin fixation and processing being
the exception, I think it is unfair to say that he, Derek, is in the wrong
line of work. I can say this because I was Derek's first supervisor and
trained him from scratch and I can say that he has done very well for
himself in the past several years since entering the profession (he is
already the supervisor of a lab with a little over 3 years experience).
Please don't make assumptions about people posting their opinions or
responding to a question, it is unfair. For the record I also agree with
Derek that having your fingers caked in paraffin is not ideal and is a
little gross and I have seen my fair share of "disgusting" samples working
with both veterinary and human samples.

In addition I can also say that all technologists in my lab wear gloves
while sectioning and I don't think it is a problem as long as they are
educated about the reasons they are wearing PPE and are trained
appropriately.

I invite Joe to flame me all he wants for my opinion since I started out in
his Air Force lab a short 11 years ago and still have great respect for him
and his experience.

Jason Burrill
Manager, Histology
Charles River Laboratories