[Histonet] damage to dura

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Fri Sep 7 17:23:25 CDT 2007

Hi caroline.  Not enough attention is paid to the "dimpling", dipping into cortex, that almost always occurs with free hand drilling.  You seem to have a clear cut test of that.  As I understand what you are saying, the behavior is different between untouched animals, and those with only a hole drilled through skull and resulting dimpling.

You need to mount the drill on the stereotaxic instrument, and go down a precisely measured distance.  We offer a manual drill for this, and our flexshaft drill can be mounted on the stereotaxic with the large probe holder.

This is what I would choose:

 Manual Stereotaxic Drill
Product: #463018

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300 x 342
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Caroline Bass
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:52 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] damage to dura

Hey guys,

i have a question I thought may be good for the group.  I am doing stereotax surgeries on rats, basically making lesions in the prefrontal cortex.  There are two potential sham controls, one where a vehicle is injected the other where the holes are drilled but nothing is injected.  So here's the problem.  In the no injection sham (i.e. only holes are drilled) the animals display an alteration of the behavior we're interested in.  The tissue looks good, and there is no sign of infiltration of immune cells in the PFC by cresyl violet.  However, the dura does have some damage where the drill pierced the skull.  We use a standard dremmel.

Are there any suggestions for what could be going on?  Is there an immune response we should specifically look for, or is there
something else about the dura that could be affecting our system?
Does anyone know of how dura damage can alter nearby brain areas?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Caroline