[Histonet] Gloves for Microtomy

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 14:39:03 CDT 2007

Glen:
You have taken the wrong approach: you are trying to get documentation to prove that you are innocent (right), but the "burden of proof" is with the inspector. S/he was to prove that you are at fault, s/he is the one that has to show you the documentation requiring that ALL blocks have to be sectioned wearing gloves.
  The next thing tha you have to do is PREPARE your OWN procedure and incorporate it to your SOP (after approval by the Lab. Director), requiring, for example, to wear gloves when dealing with KNOWN prion cases, and not requiering wearing gloves with other types of tissues.

  Finally, I don't know how the information has gotten out, but the year was 1998, and I was the one who licked the block!
René J.

"Dawson, Glen" <GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com> wrote:
  All,

I have a rogue JCAHO inspector currently on-site that is demanding that all of the histotechs cut paraffin blocks with gloves on. She has made up many other rules of her own but most were so outlandish that they were easily discounted.

What I am looking for is some kind of written policy out there that addresses the fact that it is not a requirement to wear gloves when handling/cutting paraffin blocks. We have tried to explain all of the reasons why it is not a requirement but she steadfastly refuses to listen to a single word from any peons she is inspecting. Since reasoning has no effect, I am looking for a manual of some sort that is published and available for purchase to provide written proof, although I'm not sure if it will make any difference to this particular individual.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanx In Advance,

Glen Dawson
IHC Manager