[Histonet] Gloves for Microtomy

Cheryl R. Kerry tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 13:09:53 CDT 2007

This brings to mind a story a histotech shared (maybe even on here)
regarding her safety officer giving her grief about techs working
bare-handed when cutting being a bio-hazardous situation.

They argued back and forth and they were about to have to concede to the
safety person's demands for gloves and the Histo Manager out of
desperation--a person of many years' experience and with a sound, stable
reputation in her lalb--picked up a faced block and licked it.

The topic was never raised again.

I know that doesn't help your situation but I hope it at least brought a
smile :)

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Full Staff Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dawson, Glen
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 12:58 PM
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Gloves for Microtomy

All,

I have a rogue JCAHO inspector currently on-site that is demanding that all
of the histotechs cut paraffin blocks with gloves on.  She has made up many
other rules of her own but most were so outlandish that they were easily
discounted.

What I am looking for is some kind of written policy out there that
addresses the fact that it is not a requirement to wear gloves when
handling/cutting paraffin blocks.  We have tried to explain all of the
reasons why it is not a requirement but she steadfastly refuses to listen to
a single word from any peons she is inspecting.  Since reasoning has no
effect, I am looking for a manual of some sort that is published and
available for purchase to provide written proof, although I'm not sure if it
will make any difference to this particular individual.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanx In Advance,

Glen Dawson
IHC Manager