[Histonet] Microwaves

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 06:17:27 CDT 2007

and people wonder why I can't stand CAP. Microwaves have been in use in the
lab for over 20 years and all of a sudden you can't use house microwaves.
Here's where I get flamed to the bone. I blame the microwave companies for
this.
    I am in agreement that processing microwaves should be laboratory grade.
I actually had an entire run burned to a crisp with an inferior laboratory
grade microwave. Heating up a few solutions shouldn't require an $18,000
microwave. Now that I have stirred the pot, let the flaming begin. Oh yeah,
this time, I'm not working, so there is no CEO to call (I really need to get
a job. I have way too much time on my hands).
    OK, I have my flame retardant suit on. Let the flaming begin.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathleen Boozer" <BoozerKA <@t> ah.org>
To: "JR R" <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com>; <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:38 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Microwaves

CAP now says "in accordance with manufacturer's instructions".  In other
words, food only, no chemicals.  How do I get away with that?

>>> JR R <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com> 09/04/2007 16:58 >>>

I use a plain old GE turntable microwave for that.  It was like $150.00.
You do want the turntable kind and with a digital timer is best.  What you
want to do is test the microwave to see exactly how long it takes to heat
your solution to the required temperature in the exact container (staining
tub, probably?) that you will be using.

Jerry L. Ricks
Research Scientist
U.W. Medicine at South Lake Union
815 Mercer Street
Seattle, WA 98109
(206)-685-7190> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:23:38 -0700> From: BoozerKA <@t> ah.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> Subject: [Histonet] Microwaves> >
What is the best microwave for a small lab using it only for heating Bouin's
and Silver Nitrate for special stains? I just can't believe I would have to
spend $30,000+ or slow down and use a waterbath.> > >