[Histonet] Re: In need of tissue and questions about restaining

Robert Richmond RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Sep 4 13:40:03 CDT 2007

Mindy A. Johnson at the University of California, San Diego (USCD)
Medical Teaching Labs asks:

>>Does anyone know where we can find some pathological tissue? We need
this for students sets of pathology for our medical students. It has
become pretty hard to find tissue. I scoured the internet and found
Biomax, but that has been it.<<

This is the responsibility of the pathologist in charge of the medical
students' pathology course (often called the course master), and it
can hardly be delegated to a histotechnologist (or in fact to anyone).
Making a collection of pathologic specimens of sufficient quality for
teaching beginners is a long labor indeed. Different medical schools
have very different slide sets - some (well, 40 years ago) with as
many as 300 different slides in them.

I'd take this issue up with whatever pathologist you can talk to, but
it's not your responsibility.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN