[Histonet] curious about soaking paraffin blocks.

Tarango, Mark mtarango <@t> nvcancer.org
Fri Oct 26 17:48:09 CDT 2007

If you process animal tissue on a human processing schedule, it
definitely will come out very dry.

I remember trying to cut fish brains from some fish that washed ashore a
few years ago.  As soon as the tissue hit the knife, it all turned to
powder.  I had to let the blocks float on the warm waterbath, sit in
soapy ammonia water, and huff and puff all over to get a nice section.

Also, a researcher here made some antibodies against a synthetic peptide
of a nuclear transcription factor that he is studying.  The sequence he
used was the same for both the human and the mouse versions of the
protein; however, I couldn't get the antibody to work on mouse tissue,
until I modified the processing protocol such that the tissue came out
looking like human tissue (which just took cutting the dehydration
time).

I just think animal tissue doesn't need to be processed as long as human
tissue does.  Maybe we humans drink more water or something.

Mark Adam Tarango HT(ASCP)
Histology & IHC Supervisor
Nevada Cancer Institute
One Breakthrough Way