[Histonet] curious about soaking paraffin blocks.

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Fri Oct 26 01:56:41 CDT 2007

"I always face my blocks and then place them on the ice facing upwards.
If I need to soak any blocks I use ammonia water only for about a
minute.  I have in the past used Downey fabric softener (the original
scent only) this works great on big tissue like uterus.  It also makes
the lab smell like a laundry facility."

Now that makes sense as you are alluding to 'softening' the tissue with
fabric softener which you must do from time to time (but surely not
regularly) for those very hard blocks. I've always maintained that if
you fix tissue properly and process them optimally you won't need these
fancy reclamation methods.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311
Mob 07749 754194; Pager 07659 597107;

Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother. --Oprah Winfrey
This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation