[Histonet] Mouse Skin Processing

Larry Woody slappycraw <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 14:32:15 CDT 2007

I would shorten some of the alcohol stations, currently you've got about 10 hours in alcohol, seems like too much IMO.

Kim Merriam <kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:  Igor,

These processing times might be too long, I would try closer to 30-35 minutes per station for mouse skins.

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)
Cambridge, MA

----- Original Message ----
From: Igor Deyneko
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 1:34:34 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Mouse Skin Processing

Dear Histonetters!
I have been havins some problems with processing mouse skin. The blacks are
difficult to section, then tissue starts flowing away from the paraffin and
the sections do not retain Hematoxylin stain. That suggest to me that the
processing and paraffin infiltration were poor.
Here's the processing protocol I used for pieces no larger than 1cm^2.
70 % Alcohol - 1.5 hr
70 % Alcohol - 1.5 hr
70 % Alcohol - 1.0 hr
80 % Alcohol - 1.0 hr
95 % Alcohol - 1.0 hr
95 % Alcohol - 1.0 hr
100 % Alcohol - 1.5 hr
100 % Alcohol - 1.5 hr( Due to machine only having 2 stations for that
alcohol)
Xylene - 1.5 hr
Xylene - 1.5 hr(Due to machine having only 2 stations for Xylene)
Paraffin - 1.0 hr
Paraffin - 1.0 hr
Paraffin - 1.0 hr

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Thank you.
Igor Deyneko
Infinity Pharmaceuticals
Cambridge, MA.