[Histonet] baby powder freeze aid

Hofecker, Jennifer L jennifer.l.hofecker <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Oct 18 11:29:18 CDT 2007

I believe you are correct. We use talc (purchased from Fisher) to freeze
our muscle biopsies.  We have received some samples from outside
institutions that were obviously frozen with baby powder (smell powder
fresh when you open the package). The samples tend to have some "ice
artifact" which is the reason we encourage the use of talc in the first
place.
If you are looking to reduce freeze artifact (and you are not using
fluorescence) go ahead and order the talc from a Scientific product
distributor. It's relatively inexpensive.

Anybody know if talc protects from "flaming"????

Have a great rest of the week.

Jennifer L. Hofecker, HT(ASCP)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Division of Neuropathology