[Histonet] Surgipath semi-automatic microtomes

Gwen R. Deville GDeville <@t> hlm-la.com
Wed Oct 17 08:51:15 CDT 2007

We have 3 Surgipath Model#4800E semi-automatic microtomes which are
approximately 5 to 6 years old. When we first purchased them, they cut
great, however, for about the last year to present day, we have
experienced great difficultly with microtomy.  You can be cutting
perfectly for several hours then all of a sudden you can not get a
ribbon at all or better yet, it may cut great the day before, then not
cut at all the next day when you start.  We have not made any changes in
our cutting process (we use Accu Edge blades and cut routinely on 4
microns, with the angle normally set somewhere between 1-3).  We have
regular preventive maintenance performed on each instrument.

In the past we've had issue with the blade holder screws backing out of
the knife holder and are in the process of having the holders rebuilt by
Surgipath.  We feel like this is probably the source of our problems.

Just wondering if any one else has experienced issues with these
microtomes or has any suggestions.

Gwen Deville, Histology Supv.
Delta Pathology, Mid-Louisiana
Box 30113, 211 Fourth Street
Alexandria, LA 71301

Work: (318)473-3943 / (318) 473-3180
Mobile: (318) 729-4203
Pager: (318) 427-5444
Email: gdeville <@t> hlm-la.com

NOTICE:  This email and any files transmitted with it may contain
PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by
the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient of the
email or any of its attachments, please be advised that you have
received this email in error and that any use, dissenmination,
distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of the email or any
attached files is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email
in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the
sender by reply email or contact the sender at the number listed.