[Histonet] frozen sections

Mickie Johnson mickie25 <@t> netzero.net
Tue Oct 16 18:13:59 CDT 2007

This may be remedied by smearing some OCT to the face of the frozen block.
One caution is that this may cause the formation of freezing artifact that
looks like small holes next to nuclei or in the center of muscle fibers from
the thawing that occurs when adding warm OCT to the frozen block face which
then re-freezes causing ice crystals to form. The effect may not go deep in
the block though. Good luck.

Mickie

Mickie Johnson, B.S., HTL(ASCP)
Mohs Histology Consulting Services, LLC
  & Mohs Lab Staffing
2507 S. Manito Blvd.
Spokane, WA 99203
509-954-7134
Web: www.mohshistotemp.com & www.mohslabstaffing.com
Email: mickie25 <@t> netzero.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Atoska
Gentry
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:55 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] frozen sections

hello, has anyone observed empty space surrounding tissue frozen in
O.C.T. or similar tissue freezing medium after snap freezing? Upon
sectioning samples shipped previously snap frozen to one of our
researchers I noticed space surrounding various areas of the tissue.
Does anyone know what probably caused this? Could this be a factor in
the generation of horrible sections? I suspect the tissue may be moving
when the blade touches it. Is there a know remedy that will not damage
the tissue? Has anyone ever added O.C.T. to already frozen tissues? Any
assistance will be much appreciated. Atoska

--
Atoska S. Gentry, B.S., HT(ASCP)
Research Assistant IV