[Histonet] Re: Space for Sectioning

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Sat Oct 6 15:16:06 CDT 2007

Our student histology laboratory has 24 work stations.  Each work station
is four feet wide and a little over two feet deep.  There is a small
return to the left for the water bath for correct ergonomics.  Our
cryostat and tissue processors are housed in a separate room off of the
lab.  Our grossing stations and flammable cabinet are also in this room.
In the main lab we have 6 embedding centers along one wall.  We also have
four H&E staining set-ups with snorkel ventilation and sinks for each
set-up.  We have two large fume hoods that are used for coverslipping.

Jennifer MacDonald
Director, Histotechnician Training Program
Mt. San Antonio College
1100 N. Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA 91789
(909) 594-5611 ext. 4884
jmacdonald <@t> mtsac.edu

"Emily Sours" <talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
10/04/2007 09:29 PM

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Histonet] Re: Space for Sectioning

on average, how many sectioning spaces do any of you have?
we have one paraffin sectioning space (2 feet depth by one slide warmer
length) and one cryostat sectioning place (size of cryostat CM3050)..
again, just wondering out of curiosity how big processing labs can get
(reminder, i work in academics, so we need to prove we need our space,
limited as it is, or we lose it)
also, when i volunteered in a pathology lab in a hospital as an
undergraduate (circa 1997, EONS ago), i didn't see a cryostat anywhere,
just
paraffin processing instruments.  has this changed? it seems for large
volumes of processing, paraffin would be better, yet it's less sensitive
certain antibodies due to the melting point of paraffin.

emily
ps sorry to ask silly questions, i never thought about paraffin vs
cryo-sectioning in large volumes until now.  it interests me to know which
is better for pathology, or whatever histonet people might use most :)

--
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate.
Yog-Sothoth is the gate.