[Histonet] Polymer Paraffin

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:48:56 CDT 2007

At 10:21 AM 10/1/2007, Emily Sours wrote:
>Paraplast plus here, as well.
>I didn't know there were other brands :)
>
>Emily
>--
>Yog-Sothoth knows the gate.
>Yog-Sothoth is the gate.
>Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all
>are one in Yog-Sothoth.
>He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break
>through again.

Paraffin is really a laboratory choice of what works best in your
facility.  I have tested and worked with most paraffins on the market
and all have some level of polymer in them.  Numerous reasons are
given for why one is better than the other.  I have found difference
in the paraffins based of what I needed at the time and changes as
needed.  I don't do infiltration paraffins and embedding as I don't
like the concept personally and it was really based on tissue
processor problems caused when too much polymer caused valves to clog
years ago.  The best paraffins are simply the one that works for
you.  Currently we use Polyscientific Paraffin Prills and really like
them.  I have used all versions of Paraplast, some Richard Allan,
Surgipath, Polysciences and others with some differences but all usable.

As someone who has worked on paraffin development for several
companies the differences are not as great as they would have us believe.

Best Regards,

Pamela A Marcum
Manager, Histology Special Procedures
University of Pennsylvania