[Histonet] Uranyl nitrate disposal

Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED) jqb7 <@t> CDC.GOV
Fri Nov 30 05:16:58 CST 2007

We are not allowed to dispose of our uranyl nitrate in the normal
hazardous waste.  Our radiation group handles it.

Jeanine Bartlett, BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32
18/SB-114
Atlanta, GA  30333
(404) 639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Philip
Oshel
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:34 PM
To: Histonet <@t> Pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Uranyl nitrate disposal

Uranyl nitrate and Uranyl acetate are routinely used as stains for
transmission electron microscopy (really contrasting agents, not stains
in the light microscopy sense). Both for sections and negative stains of
bacteria, viruses, and macromolecules.
Waste disposal is just as a toxic compound (uranium is toxic) in water.
The radioactivity is too low to bother about, even for the safety people
-- although there are probably some safety offices that regulate UNO3
and UAc they same way they do carbon-14 or phosphorus-32, which are
issues.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel