[Histonet] Re: sentinel biopsies

Smith Wanda Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Tue Nov 27 13:30:48 CST 2007

I agree, that by the time it is time to dispose of the specimen (after 2
weeks per CAP), they do not need any special handling.  We hold the s.
node and breast for 24 hrs for fixation, however, we are finding on some
cases we have to hold the sentinel node an extra day due to the level of
radioactivity when we check it with the Geiger counter.  Is anyone else
having this problem?
Thanks,
Wanda
Wanda G. Smith, HTL(ASCP)HT
Trident Medical Center
Pathology Supervisor
ph:  843-847-4586
fx:  843-847-4296
email:  wanda.smith <@t> hcahealthcare.com
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert
Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:18 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: sentinel biopsies

Heather D. Renko, Histology Coordinator, OSF Saint Anthony Medical
Center, Rockford Illinois asks:

>>I seen your query a few years back on your sentinel node protocol
and did not know if your obtained your information on how to dispose
of radioactive material from your nodes. If so, can I see your
protocols. I am revising mine and would appreciate any help
available.<<

The radioisotope used in sentinel node procedures is technetium 99m,
which has a half-life of six hours. The level of radioactivity of
these specimens is low enough that they do not require any special
handling. By the time a pathology specimen is ready to be disposed of
(at least a week, probably more) the radioisotope is many half-lives
out, and the level of radiation probably undetectable.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN