[Histonet] (no subject)

Philip Oshel oshel1pe <@t> cmich.edu
Mon Nov 19 07:35:46 CST 2007

Ah, I no longer feel so alone. I recall using bunsen burners in
junior high (that ought to date me -- "middle school" now), high
school, as a college freshman and so on. Never a problem, no
burned-down schools, no explosions, no kids on fire. (Mind, my
brother did make nitrate contact explosives with his chemistry set,
so I never got to have one.) Is common sense so dead that even
experienced lab workers must be protected from themselves?
I've never understood the anti-bunsen paranoia. Someone should write
a history of the bunsen burner: a modest little device, but where
would chemistry, microbiology, and science in general be without it?

Phil