[Histonet] Giemsa Stain

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 07:41:09 CST 2007

I was referring at the fact that IF some coloration took place (of any kind) the procedure worked, and there was a staining. I was not referring to stain specificity.
  René J.

"Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist" <Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk> wrote:
  Sorry Rene, on this occasion I can't agree.
Giemsa is not on this occasion being used to bring out granules as it would in it's normal use as a blood/marrow stain. It is just used as a simple quick stain, which will pick up Helicobacter inter alia.
If the tissue is blue, it has worked, at least to the extent it needs to have done for this purpose.

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: 14 November 2007 13:01
To: Schaundra Walton; Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Giemsa Stain

Giemsa, as any other stain, is just that, a stain, and stains do not (cannot) have "internal controls".
As with any other HC procedure you have to use a positive control along with your tissue.
To completely demonstrate that your Giemsa procedure worked as expected, you coul use a blood smear or an appendix section as controls. That will depend on your pathologist's whims.
René J.

Schaundra Walton wrote:
We've been using a Giemsa stain for our H. pylori cases without a control tissue. It has come to my attention that this may not be good practice. I was under the impression that the Giemsa stain had an internal control. Is anyone else using a this stain for H. pylori? Are you running a tissue control with it?