[Histonet] staining of negative controls with IHC

MaryAnn Dixon DixonM <@t> vetmed.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 13 07:18:06 CST 2007

We are currently retrieving animal tissue in a pressure cooker with a program of 125 degrees for 30 secs.  This protocol was taken from biocare but I'm sure this is for human tissue. Most of the tissue is retrieved with Biocare's Reveal (pH 6.0).  We are receiving some background staining of our negative controls whereas if we did not retrieve them, there is none.  We were staining for KI-67 which is a nuclear stain. I am using a tonsil for the control. The negative control showed some sporatic cytoplasmic staining on the Universal negative control from biocare as well as deionized water. Since then we have taken the temperature down to 115 degrees and increased the time to 25 minutes.  It seems to have decreased the cytoplasmic staining but there is still some lingering.  Anyone out there have any ideas??? I'm sure there is a better protocol for retrieving animal tissues. It has to be a time and temperature thing!

MaryAnn Dixon
Biological Scientist
Anatomic Pathology
University of Florida