[Histonet] non pathologist grossing vs processing continued

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Mon Nov 12 14:28:36 CST 2007

Hi Vince, Sorry to take so long in getting back to you but things here
have been very busy. By CLIA's guidelines it sounds as though CAP has
removed themselves as an "acceptable" private accreditation when they
loosened the restrictions on grossing.  CLIA's database may not list
grossing but CLIA did publish a guideline to clarify their position:
This is the CLIA '88 guideline for high complexity testing personnel-
CLIA '88 493.1489
"On or before April 24 1995 (I) be a high school graduate or equivalent;
and (b) have documentation of training appropriate for the test
performed before analyzing patient specimens"...After that date it
requires an associate degree in a biological or chemical science or
medical laboratory technology -or- qualify as a medical technologist
with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution -or- earned a
bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biologic or clinical
laboratory science.

A few years ago CLIA put out this interpretive guideline, (printed
below), to clear up the question of grossing.  As you see, it references
493.1498 (the above "high complexity guideline").  They basically sum up
that if you examine/describe the tissue for record noting color weight
or measurement then it is grossing and falls under 493.1498.  Tissue
processing as CAP calls it involves noting size and other
characteristics and qualifies as grossing under CLIA.

The new federal register CLIA interpretive guidelines appendix C subpart
M effective April 24, 2003 states in section 493.1461(e) "In the case if
gross examinations, the technical supervisor may delegate to individuals
qualified under 493.1498 the responsibility for the physical
examination/description, including color, weight, measurement, and other
characteristics of the tissue; or other mechanical procedures for which
a specific written protocol has been developed."

I hope this helps.  I don't know which side will budge first but I have
heard whisperings of CLIA doing something in the near future but what
ever it is it will probably only muddy the water further.  All I can say
is that CLIA is what happens when a government bureaucracy gets involved
with healthcare.

Charles Embrey PA(ASCP)
Histology Manager
Carle Clinic