[Histonet] Gayle Callis is retired, however

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Sun Nov 11 11:35:57 CST 2007

Dear Histonetters

I decided to retire this past September from routine daily work.   However, I will be consulting  with one researcher who needs immunostaining and cryotomy skills but not on a full time basis.  He threatened to chain me to his cryostat but more than that, it will keep me active both mentally and in the lab.  Retirement does not mean we lose our skills.   I will remain active with the National Society for Histotechnology and the Journal of Histotechnology -in particular, The Writing Partners Program to help individuals less skilled in scientific manuscript preparation but have so much to share  through their methods, techniques, hints, modifications, and so on.    NSH and their sponsors have been an important part of my career by giving so much in recognition but also the opportunity to study abroad.

It has been a long career in this profession, starting in 1962 with many wonderful changes along the way -  computers with Internet access to anything we need, better instrumentation with automation,  fabulous microsocopy advances, superb cryostats, plastic methods for light and electron microscopy, undecalcified bone techniques with MMA,  and more than anything the entry of immunohistochemical staining and molecular biology techniques into our field. The latter two could be compared to the universe's  "Big Bang Theory" - at a rate of expansion to keep us on our histo-toes forever.

One thing to be noted are the routine staining methods we use today, including decalcification.  These much the same as when they were first published long before I entered histotechnology.  I hope those new to the profession will become students of histotechnology and read publications about the tried and true classic methods.  Any many of us still perform our duties as they were done early on - doing things by hand i.e. processing.

It has been a delightful experience to be part of the Histonet  participation which has broadened my histotechnology experience so vitally needed to stay current in this profession. The discussions were informative and very useful, but most importantly are the wonderful people i have met through this list.  These individuals are now some of my closest friends and colleagues who enrich my life daily, both personally and histotechnologically.   The Histonet format has provided me (and will contine to do so) with so much - the excellent discussions, a means of finding information/products, the right to disagree or reply privately, but most of all - meeting people on an international basis.

I will subscribe from time to time to participate on Histonet,  but may be using a different email address at home, e.g. a business address.  My university email address is no longer in service so if anyone has tried to contact me,  the email was probably rejected, returned or ITC deleted it.  Forwarding was not an option since due to spam issues.

My contact information is on the NSH website, members only webpage, and some non NSH members also have my current address.

For those new to Histonet, don'r forget to use the Histonet Archives - it is a vast resource of unbelievable hints and help on improving one's histotechnics.

Take care, stay in touch, see you on Histonet

Gayle M. Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Bozeman MT