[Histonet] Mucin overstained with Hematoxylin in G.I. specimens

LuAnn Anderson ander093 <@t> tc.umn.edu
Mon Nov 5 15:51:47 CST 2007

I too have had problems recently with Surgipath hematoxylin in brain
tissue (not mucin). They replaced what I had with a new bottle, but I
am seeing the same problems. I believe the formula has been changed
to  eliminate mercury--don't know if this is the basis of the
problems or not--but I believe that is when I started having
problems. They have a "new" hematoxylin (560) and eosin (515), but
our pathologists did not care for those either. I have been using
Surgipath for 14 years and just started having staining problems with it.

LuAnn Anderson
Neuropthology Lab
University of Minnesota