[Histonet] Plastic Embedding

Wurdak, Elizabeth EWURDAK <@t> CSBSJU.EDU
Fri May 25 13:18:54 CDT 2007

Hi Jim,
We use JB-4 which is a glycol methacrylate-based polymer.  To prevent
overheating we keep the embedding mixture on ice and work with small (25ml)
batches of the complete mix.  Do not precool your molds as this may cause
condensation and prevent even polymerization.

We have not had any problems with overheating, but the last time we embedded
our blocks turned out to be too hard to section with glass knives.  It may
be that we need to allow the blocks to polymerize at 4 degrees instead of
room temperature or alter the ratio of solution A and B.

Good luck,

Elizabeth