[Histonet] Work hours

Dawn Cowie dlcowie <@t> prodigy.net
Thu May 24 11:46:37 CDT 2007

We tried this at our lab. It worked really well for a while. We put together a schedule that allowed the tech to be off on Monday - gave them a 3 day weekend. The next week a tech would be off on Friday - gave them a 3 day weekend. The next week the tech would be off on Wednesday - they would then work Mon, Tues - be off Wed then work Thurs and Fri. Each tech was worked into the schedule this way. It was a bit difficult to work the details, but everyone really enjoyed it. We developed a problem tho when we lost 1 tech and 1 of the remaining techs needed to go back to the old schedule because of family issues. We no longer had enough techs to make it work so they all had to go back to the old schedule.
  My feeling is that as long as you have the work and enough techs to make it possible, its a good alternative to normal scheduling. Most of the techs don't feel like they're working a full time job.
  Just my 2 cents. Hope this gives you something useful.

  Dawn L. Cowie, HT (ASCP) Su
  Pensacola Pathologists, PA
  Pensacola, FL 32503
  850-416-7251

Mike Pence <mpence <@t> grhs.net> wrote:
  How do you decide who gets which days off! Are they floating days?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:52 AM
To: Patti Loykasek; histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Work hours

I have tried it.
Cons: If yu don't have a flow of specimens in 4 days equivalent to the flow on 5 days, the personnel will be idling some time each day. If specimens or workload is available everybody will have work to do.
Pros: it is fantastic having 3 days off weekly. Everybody likes that!
René J.

Patti Loykasek
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone in histoland has experienced moving from a schedule of standard 8 hour day/5 days a week to a 10 hour day/4 days a week with techs having a day off during the week. If so, what are the pros and cons of this type of schedule. I'm interested in feedback from both bench techs and supervisor/managers. We are in the initial stages of contemplating this and would appreciate info from anyone that has tried it. Thank you.

Patti Loykasek BS, HTL, QIHC
PhenoPath Laboratories
Seattle, WA

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message, or you may call PhenoPath
Laboratories, Seattle, WA U.S.A. at (206) 374-9000.