[Histonet] Rinse times during immunohistochemical staining?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed May 23 13:16:35 CDT 2007

Paul,

You pose an interesting question, and there seems to be a great deal of
variation with times and steps, particularly when you read written
protocols on the web or what people supply on Histonet.  I presume you are
talking about manual staining and not an automated stainer?

For  5 um or less frozen or paraffin embedded sections, enzyme
immunohistochemistry, I am not an excessive rinser, but have adequate
rinses with excellent results. I found it did NOT make any difference in
results if rinses were untimed or with more than one rinse. Timing rinses
was abandoned a long time ago as, sorry for the pun as too "time consuming"
. I reached a point of refusal with 3 to 5 minutes per rinse and with three
changes - it simply did not jive with an busy IHC lifestyle for a
day.    Using a coplin jar for rinsing was a horror since we 20 or more
slides at a time.

For all immunostaining, we use manual Scytek humidity chambers that tip the
slides into a slanted upright position,  but slides stay in place.  We do
one untimed rinse between steps by flowing buffer from a wide tipped squirt
bottle so buffer flows from above and across sections, slowly and gently -
over and back one time.  After rinse, buffer is either added to section
until next step (have to open tubes, or some extra manual step) or I simply
blot and add the next reagent.  I based this rinse on Shandon coverplate
method, where the well is filled, buffer flows down and over sections using
a capillary gap, gravity flow.  We found this takes approx. 2 -3 minutes to
completely drain the well (one should time this),  and NOT the 5 minutes
they say to use.

For immunofluorescence staining, I do the same thing, but tip buffer off
for extra rinses after the fluorophore step.  I tend to rinse with more
steps for IFA staining, just to get rid of the fluorophore and any glowing
junk.

Since I do not have an automated immunostainer, what kind of rinsing step
do these have?  If these perform a single rinse without any particular
time, then why not emulate the machine?   I figure if a machine can do it,
so can I.

  At 11:02 AM 5/23/2007, you wrote:
>What are the standard rinse times in buffer that people are using between
>steps of a standard immunohistochemical procedure?  For example, after the
>primary antibody, before applying the secondary?  How many rinses, and of
>what duration?

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor