[Histonet] NK cells in mouse tissue and PLP fixation

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed May 23 09:43:03 CDT 2007

Sonya,

You can try PLP immersion fixation followed by sucrose cryoprotection, but
the publication I read (reference was in a Histonet message yesterday) did
a fixation study with PLP and other fixatives.  They had little success
with the NK1.1 (P136) antibody following immersion fixation with all
fixatives, before snap freezing or after fresh tissue frozen sections were
cut.  They had nice staining following PERFUSION (with PLP) of the
mouse.  After perfusion, and once the tissues are dissected out, then
immersion into this fixative should ensure complete fixation.  You may want
to do final fixation in PLP  overnight, some do it for 5 - 6 hours longer
here, then do the 30% sucrose cryoprotection at 4C. Just remove the tissue
from fixative and go to the sucrose solution as Bruce suggested.  Small
fixed tissues often float on top of the sucrose solution.  A general rule
of thumb the that cryoprotection is done, tissues sink to the bottom of the
container.

Some people use a sucrose gradient, often seen in the literature, but we
have never found that necessary.  We blot off the excess sucrose solution
before embedding in OCT.

Hopefully you have access to a perfusion methods IF your immersion fails.

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University