[Histonet] Chlorine gas

Edwards, R.E. ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk
Wed May 23 08:43:38 CDT 2007

Also  known  as  Gooding  and  Stewarts(5-20% formic acid/ 5-20%
formalin), depending  if  you  are  in  a rush  or  not!, works  a
treat.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Smith,
Allen
Sent: 23 May 2007 14:36
To: Anne Saulsbery
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Chlorine gas

It depends on what you use for decalcification.  If you use Hollande's
fluid, formic acid, or EDTA, there is no chloride to be oxidized to
chlorine. My preference for decalcification is Schmorl's fluid
(formalin-formic acid). In theory, formalin can react with hydrochloric
acid to produce the dangerous volatile liquid bis-chloromethyl ether,
but the yield from dilute solutions at atmospheric pressure is trivial.
Nevertheless, if I mixed formalin and HCl I would do it in a fume hood.
Mixing concentrated ammonium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite
("chlorine
bleach") produces a fairly good yield of chlorine: don't try it!

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161