[Histonet] Coplin

Hawkins, Hal K. hhawkins <@t> utmb.edu
Tue May 22 16:49:58 CDT 2007

My Saunders Dictionary & Encyclopedia of Laboratory Medicine and
Technology, copyright 1984, by James L. Bennington, M.D. (a great
reference) has an entry that says:
Coplin jar (kop'lin) [W.M.L. Coplin, U.S. physician, 1864-1928] a
wide-mouthed container made of glass or other material that is used in
histology laboratories for the storage or staining of tissue sections.

I was amazed when I Googled W.M.L. Coplin that this link turned up -- it
is actually the article in Science by Coplin that describes the dish in
detail.
http://www.jstor.org/view/00368075/ap990143/99a00050/0
Of course, no hint as to pronunciation.

Also, it turns out he was the President of the US-Canadian section of
the International Association of Medical Museums in 1920/21.

Google is amazing!

Hal Hawkins
UTMB, the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun
Lang
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:04 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: WG: [Histonet] Coplin

I have found a Pathologist, who worked in Philadelphia and wrote
literature
on pathologic methods from 1893-1913: William Michael Late Coplin.
Unfortunately there is no hint on the pronounciation, but a beautiful
picture: He might be the man behind the "Coplin-jar".

http://clendening.kumc.edu/dc/pc/Coplin.jpg

Gudrun Lang

Biomed. Analytikerin
Histolabor