[Histonet] Chlorine gas

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Tue May 22 14:06:10 CDT 2007

Anne,

I assume you are referring to decal solution made with hydrochloric acid, since there is no other possible source of chlorine in any decal solution that I know of. The chlorine in such a solution is in the form of chloride (Cl-) ions, and there is no reaction between such ions and formaldehyde molecules, so no chlorine gas could be generated in such a solution. If this were the case then formol-saline would also generate chlorine since it also contains chloride ions and formaldehyde.