istotechnician artists has a history Re: [Histonet] Another question!

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon May 21 10:29:19 CDT 2007

Colleagues,

On an aside, the "artist'" aspect to histotechnology has a long historical
background.  This is particularly apparent when you take Dr. McCormick's
antique slide preparation workshop.  The art was in the preparation of
microscope slides made on  glass scored and separated to obtain that
slide.  After the specimen was mounted under the coverglass the slide was
carefully wrapped with beautiful paper to protect the viewer from cutting
themselves on sharp edges. This produced an a slide reminiscent of old time
framed, matted photographs, and the final labeling  was done in the most
gorgeous hand writing.  Dr. McCormick also teaches some other ways of
making slides in the most artistic fashion and the workshop is fun to take,
and still being presented at NSH symposiums.

I have some slides, one containing scales from a butterfly wing that remain
iridescent even after preparation in the earlier 1900's.  There is not
doubt these slides were and are still valuable to the scientific
communinity, artistically presented but highly viewable.