[Histonet] Friday Fume Runover

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Sun May 20 23:54:11 CDT 2007

Sara,
I actually contacted the CSI people and spoke directly with David Berman.
I invited him out to the college to visit our histology lab and learn
about the field, but he seemed less than interested.  He loaned me a CSI
tape and called it a day.
Jennifer

Jennifer MacDonald
Director, Histotechnician Training Program
Mt. San Antonio College
1100 N. Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA 91789
(909) 594-5611 ext. 4884
jmacdonald <@t> mtsac.edu

"Breeden, Sara" <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
05/20/2007 10:41 AM

cc

Subject
[Histonet] Friday Fume Runover

All this chat of CSI - which is a good thing, even though some believe
this chat to be spam -  brings me (thankfully) to my point: Why don't we
(or me, or one of us, or someone with years of visibility in this
profession) contact the producers of these shows and drop the big hint
that with histology technicians in particular being in such demand, the
benefit of showing how we actually do our work could have a beneficial
side effect of generating some interest in our field.  "Kids" watch
these shows (NCIS, CSI, etc.) for the goo and ooze, but showing a short
REALISTIC (I'm not shouting) histology segment might just light some
bulbs in some of these "kids".  I know...I know... but you never know
until you try.  The interest that's been generated by such shows could
be absolutely put to good use!  Here in New Mexico (that's that State
between ARIZONA and TEXAS [this might be shouting...]), our educational
system is investigating "career pathways" beginning in mid-high school;
the plan is to determine interest and ability and then allow a focus to
the student's education.  I was asked to join the "Healthcare Pipeline"
portion of the Governor's Task Force after I began searching for a way
to get the histology subject in front of mid-high and high-school
students.  The members (mostly nurses) asked for a synopsis of what
histologists do and most had little or no knowledge of our profession. I
have even managed to do the "chamber of commerce" sales pitch for
histology on one of the vet tech students that rotate through our
facility and she just began an informal OJT course with me.   The
interest is out there - we just have to cultivate it!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

PO Box 700