[Histonet] Can You Beat This?

Weems, Joyce JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org
Fri May 18 10:56:50 CDT 2007

We had a gallon bucket of xylene mixed with acetone to clean the cassettes in. I spilled it once - in a corner - got drunk as a skunk cleaning it up. I was always zoned out on xylene in those days and didn't even know to enjoy it! I had to sharpen knives on the AO sharpener with the wheel and the powder. My first child did flips when I stood there with her pushed up against that thing while I was pregnant. It's a wonder she can hear today!

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-851-7376 - Phone
404-851-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Breeden,
Sara
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 11:36 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Can You Beat This?

I've gotten some interesting, funny, and scary stories about Ye Olde
Days.  As one of my old bosses used to say, "If I'd known I was going to
live this long, I'da taken better care of myself." Too bad all these
stories about how we used to do things put us at risk!  This should be a
lesson to all the newbies out there to wear gloves, masks and question
stuff, right?  We shouldn't be afraid of what we do, just very cautious
of what might come back to bite us.  For example, one of my first jobs
while training was changing the Technicon Duo - the dioxane vats.
Aargh!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services