[SPAM] Re: RE: [Histonet] Friday Fun Fume

Mickie Johnson mickie25 <@t> netzero.net
Fri May 18 10:28:43 CDT 2007

My first 'job' was a volunteer in my last semester in high school in 1965. I
volunteered to take on a 'work-study' job in the anatomic pathology dept. at
UCLA. The job was to change the tops on 6000 (that's right 6K) pint bottles
of saved autopsy tissue dating from the 1950's if guess. (Study was whatever
I could learn by observation while working). The tissues were saved in Mason
jars with metal tops and, you guessed it, the tops had corroded and most of
the formalin had evaporated. You can imagine that took me all of that
semester and part of the next summer to complete. We had no ventilation in
the storage room at all so exposure was constant. Not to mention that
occasionally a jar would fall off the back of the shelf and break on the
floor. It was a nasty job, but endeared me to the histology staff so they
hired me part time as a lab aid to dump tissues, move paraffin blocks and
slides, make stains, etc, etc. I worked there through college.

We also used chloroform for clearing on the Technicon Duo processors and
filled gallon bottles by pumping out of a 55 gallon drum. Got high a few
times (no ventilation in the storage room either of course).

We didn't wear gloves except when doing autopsies and no hoods for
coverslipping. They call these the good ol' days, but I have always
questioned that rationale.

Mickie

Mickie Johnson, B.S., HTL(ASCP)
Mohs Histology Consulting Services, LLC