[Histonet] brain histology

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu May 10 10:08:25 CDT 2007

Without fixation by perfusion the interior architecture will not be
worth looking at. Why are you using Carnoy? Yes, it gives quick
penetration but not qucik enough to get all the way through to the
interior unless you slice the brain. Perfuse with buffered formalin,
slice into 5-10 mm sections and fix for several days to a week, formalin
works slowly. Then process for paraffin. As Rene stated, forget storage
in abs. alcohol. Ten micron sections is fine for CNS. Also, there is a
lot of work done on bat brain in the literature.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.