[Histonet] brain histology

Cheryl Cross ccross6032 <@t> aol.com
Wed May 9 16:10:43 CDT 2007

Hi Dr. Gibbons -

Great to see a fellow vet posting!! I do some neurotox stuff in mice.
What makes for a really nice FFPE section is, if you can, perfuse
fixing the rodents, then removing the calvarium overlying the brain,
and letting the brain sit in the skull in your fixative of choice (I
use 10% NBF). Letting the brain sit for 24 hours in the fix allows
you to avoid those dreaded dark angular neurons. After sitting for 24
hours I take out the brain and section routinely ... if I can't
section immediately and immunohistochemistry will be performed i
switch it to 70% EtOH ... but sitting in the alcohol makes the tissue
very very firm. If immunohistochemistry isn't an issue I allow the
brain or organs to remain in the 10% NBF.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need a protocol for perfusion, etc.

Cheryl

Cheryl Cross, DVM, Dipl. ACVP
Researcher
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Tennessee Department of Pathology
2407 River Drive, Room A201
Knoxville, TN 37996-4542
(423) 967-2724
fax: 865-974-5616