[Histonet] RE: Cell Button Prep

Beth Cox bethcoxx <@t> gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:19:58 CDT 2007

Hi Karen,

It is generally recommended that you spin down your fluid, decant, and then
add the fixative and re-spin.  Using a 1/2 fluid and 1/2 fixative method
gives you a weak solution for fixation.  Whether you use 95% alcohol (ethyl
or reagent) or 10% formalin is a personal choice - it depends on whether
your pathologist likes to see formalin fixed morphology or alcohol fixed
morphology.

You didn't mention what method you use to hold all those loose cells
together for processing/embedding/sectioning.  There are several simple
methods available to make your life easier and give the most cellular
blocks/slides.  If you are interested in info about those, just let me know.

Beth Cox, SCT/HT(ASCP)
Schools of Histotechnology
Department of Anatomic Pathology, 100RO
William Beaumont Hospital