[Histonet] Hollande's solution

Kellar, Eric C Eric.C.Kellar <@t> questdiagnostics.com
Mon Mar 26 07:37:45 CDT 2007

Lynne,
This is a modification of Bouin's solution. It is stable and will decalcify small bone specimens. Tissue that is fixed with Hollande's can be stained successfully with most stains, and the cupric acetate in the solution stabilizes red blood cell membranes and eosinophil and endocrine cell granules so that less lysis occurs than with Bouin's solution.
Thorough washing of the fixative prior to placing the specimen in a phosphate buffered formalin solution is necessary because the salts present in the solution will form an insoluble phosphate precipitate.

Eric C. Kellar
Quest Diagnostics
Histology Laboratory Supervisor
South Florida